With every new refugee claimant that comes to inasmuch there is a cloud of darkness from fear, trauma, uncertainty, separation from family, and loneliness. Our hearts are always moved by their stories, but thanks to Jesus Christ, the Light of the World who is at the centre of inasmuch house, these clouds are dispersed in an atmosphere of caring, acceptance, security and hope. Laughter and fellowship seem to be contagious in the house.
We are so very thankful to those who volunteer, pray, and donate to specific and operational needs. This support has made a wonderful impact on nine adult and twin babies that have passed through or are still in process in the house this past year.
The Canadian Council for Refugees anticipates the refugee crisis will only worsen this coming year and we want to be ready to respond. We would encourage you to donate generously to Inasmuch Community Society this Christmas season on a one-time or monthly basis.
Donations have already made and will continue to make a huge difference to the lives of our family members. For example, we recently received a complete library of graded readers from Pearson Longman Publishing. This has enabled family members to read at their existing ESL level, build their confidence and fluency, as well as entertain them!
So this busy Christmas season, we’d ask you to please consider the following opportunities for supporting us:
- Inasmuch has operational expenses of approximately $3,000/month. No salaries or wages are paid from this – so a monthly donation of $50 is a huge help.
- One of our family members from Kurdistan will be moving out in January and we would love to provide her with a new single bed and bedding – this will cost around $350.
- Many refugee claimants arrive with qualifications and skills to work, but no formal English Language qualifications. This means they are unable to join their profession or study further. We want to offer an International English Language Testing (IELTS) Exam Scholarship to a family member deemed ready at a cost of $350. This pays for the cost of the exam, study supplies and transit costs for the day of the exam.
- We have the possibility of purchasing refurbished laptop computers to be used for language training. This would enable family members to do more individual online language study and exam practice. $175 buys one laptop.
- Sometimes it’s the smallest things that make the biggest difference - $10 pays for a welcome pack of toiletries for a new family member, $15 provides a complete set of study materials for one student and $20 gives a family member a warm toque and scarf.
- We know that there are many demands on your pocketbook at this time of year, but we would ask that you’d think about this growing family of people who taken the brave decision to leave their homeland for safety in Canada.
To donate, cheques can be made out to Inasmuch Community Society and mailed to PO Box 15041, Seven Oaks PO, Abbotsford, BC, V2S 8P1
or you can donate online right by clicking here